by Paul R. Hollrah –
In December 2004 I published a column in which I attempted to outline the five greatest blunders America has ever made. These were, in order of importance:
1. The introduction of human slavery in the rural South. Short of a repetition of the genocide that occurred in the Soviet Union, in Nazi Germany, in Southeast Asia, and in Sub-Saharan Africa during the 20th century, the enslavement of human beings is the most despicable act that one human being could possibly commit against another.
2. The decision by many American parents to heed the child-rearing advice of Dr. Benjamin Spock, leading to the creation of generations of spoiled, self-indulgent, cry-babies. As more and more parents read his books and adhered to his teachings, parenting became more and more a relationship in which young parents viewed their offspring, not as the single most solemn responsibility that God puts before us, but as “toys for adults.”
3. The establishment of the mandatory retirement age at 65. Since the mandatory retirement age was not adjusted upward as life expectancy increased from sixty-five to seventy-five, and beyond, we have created an entire subculture of capable, competent retirees who produce little, if anything, but who consume at the same rate as active workers. It is the greatest waste of human energy, talent, and productivity in all of recorded history.
4. The systematic elimination of sidewalks in our residential neighborhoods. On a visit to relatives in a Houston suburb we were amazed to see the number of children playing in the streets, along with numbers of people strolling up and down the sidewalks after dinner, stopping to visit with friends and neighbors up and down the block, creating what we call a “community,” in the finest sense of the word.
5. The establishment of Toys ‘R Us stores across the country. When archeologists probe the Earth thousands of years from now, what they will find just beneath the surface may be a great mystery to them. What, they will wonder, was the purpose of all of those non-biodegradable red, yellow, and blue plastic objects that were buried in landfills in the 20th and 21st centuries? Toys ‘R Us stores are the principal purveyors of this ugliness.
Needless to say, whatever is in second, third, fourth, and fifth place cannot be compared to the horror of human slavery. But now, in the early years of the twentieth century, Toys ‘R Us will be forced out of the top five greatest blunders because those of us in western cultures are in the process of making a mistake that history will prove ranks well with our number one mistake. I refer, of course, to the unthinking approach to the problem represented by Islamic jihad and the universal fixation on military force as a means of responding to its horrors.
In Washington, in London, in Paris, and around the world, all of officialdom, the self-professed “experts” on the terrorist threat, as well as nearly every media outlet, are totally ignoring the true nature of the worldwide confrontation with radical Islam. We hear little else but discussions of whether it will be necessary to send American ground troops to root out and subdue ISIS and other murderous Islamic thugs, or if Obama will be successful in his attempt to convince other Muslim nations that they should do all the fighting and dying for us.
Unfortunately, the debate is centered on the wrong question. To spend a lot of time debating the question of how we might defeat radical Islam with military forces is a complete waste of time. All of the western cultures combined, engaged in a full scale fight-to-the-death struggle on the field of battle, can never defeat Islam. Only a fool would believe that it is possible to do so.
Outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder has let it be known that, as his last official act at the Department of Justice, he will implement a new policy adding to long-standing bans on racial and ethnic profiling, extending them, for the first time, to investigations involving national security. According to a Fox News story, “The finishing touches are still being put on the policy change, but the final version is expected to scale back the authority federal agencies received in the aftermath of the 9/11 terror attacks, including the monitoring of some religious groups and surveillance on mosques without evidence of suspected criminal activity.”
This comes, unbelievably, in the same week that the Pentagon has warned members of the U.S. military that ISIS has used social media to call upon supporters to find the home addresses of family members in the U.S., go to their homes, and kill their wives, children, and parents.
Ishaq: 587 of the Koran, tells Muslims, “Our onslaught will not be a weak faltering affair. We shall fight as long as we live. We will fight until you turn to Islam, humbly seeking refuge. We will fight not caring whom we meet. We will fight whether we destroy ancient holdings or newly gotten gains. We have mutilated every opponent. We have driven them violently before us at the command of Allah and Islam. We will fight until our religion is established. And we will plunder them, for they must suffer disgrace.” Any questions Mr. Holder? Mr. Obama?
Western apologists for Islam regularly tell us that only about five percent of the world’s Muslims are radicalized. That may be true, but what they fail to explain is that five percent of the world’s Muslims amounts to roughly seventy million suicide bombers and beheading specialists, none of whom have an ounce of respect for human life… not even their own. The way they see things, it is an honor to be martyred, to die in the service of Allah… to say nothing of the promised 72 virgins who await them in “paradise.” For each radical Islamist we kill on the field of battle, we can expect at least two of the 1.33 billion un-radicalized “moderate” Muslims to take their place. It is a war of attrition that western cultures can’t possibly win. To think otherwise is foolhardy.
What we do not hear in the debate over what to do about radical Islam is the only practical and potentially successful approach to the problem. In other words, if we can never defeat them on foreign battlefields with military force, then, along with bombing them into the middle of the next century on their home soil, our only alternative is to take whatever steps are necessary to keep them from attacking and killing us on our home soil.
To do that, we must first dispense with political correctness. Instead, we should remain focused on what the Founders intended when they wrote the 1st Amendment. In recent columns I have suggested that, as a statement of national policy, we should tailor President Dwight Eisenhower’s signing statement as he signed the Communist Control Act of 1954 into law. The national policy statement would read: The American people are determined to eliminate from their midst organizations which, purporting to be ‘religious,’ in the accepted sense of that term, are conspirators dedicated to the destruction of our form of government by force and violence…
This should be followed by an act of Congress patterned after Section 2 of the Communist Control Act. It would read, “The Congress hereby finds and declares that Islam, although purportedly a religious sect, is in fact an instrumentality of a foreign conspiracy to overthrow the government of the United States. It constitutes an authoritarian dictatorship within a republic, demanding for itself the rights and privileges accorded to individuals of other religious denominations, but denying to all others the freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution…
“As a segment of the U.S. population, Islam is relatively small, numerically, and gives scant indication of its capacity ever to attain its ends by lawful means. The peril inherent in the existence of Islam arises not from its numbers, but from its failure to acknowledge any limitation as to the nature of its activities, and its dedication to the proposition that the present system of government of the United States ultimately must be brought to ruin by any available means, including resort to force and violence. Holding that doctrine, its role as the agency of a hostile foreign power renders its existence a clear and present danger to the security of the United States. It is the means whereby individuals are seduced into the service of Islam, trained to do its bidding, and directed and controlled in the conspiratorial performance of their revolutionary services. Therefore, the organization known as Islam shall be outlawed in the United States.”
Since radical Islam cannot be defeated on the field of battle, our only alternative is to find creative ways to live, rent-free, inside the heads of Muslims around the world… to find creative ways of baiting Muslims into killing each other, and not us. For example, as I have suggested in previous columns, our government should not hesitate to engage in the elaborate hoax as an instrument of war. We might begin by having the best special effects technicians in Hollywood utilize three-dimensional holograph imaging to stage a “second coming” of Mohammed, in which he would instruct Imams and other radical Islamists that jihad is an unforgivable sin that would prevent its participants from entering paradise.
In addition, and contrary to Attorney General Eric Holder’s edict condemning religious profiling, we should prohibit the construction of any new mosques within our borders, while developing a domestic intelligence capability with tentacles that reach deeply into every existing mosque and Islamic cultural organization in the country. If we cannot defeat radical Islam on the field of battle we are left with only one alternative. We must take whatever steps are necessary to protect ourselves and our culture on our home soil… political correctness be damned. | October 3, 2014